Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Desire Resort in Los Cabos no longer clothing optional

I just learned today that Desire in Los Cabos in February will no longer be a nudist resort. (Or even a lifestyles resort which is what they also catered too lately). It is now going to just be a topless joint.

It is a tough market out there for nudist resorts. Although we will be up round 3% this year, most nudist resort owners I have talked with are down on occupancy this year. Some significantly.

The reason I think we are up on occupancy while most other places are down is we are one of the few nudist resorts in the US that caters to vacationers. Our guests come from around the world. Although they are mainly English speaking from the US, Canada, England, and Australia. Most American nudist resorts especially here in California are mainly just weekend getaways for locals instead of true vacation resorts that are busy all the time like us.

Our guests are deciding whether to go to Europe, the Caribbean, Hawaii, Tahiti, our resort Terra Cotta Inn, etc. for their vacations. So when the economy goes bad, they stop going overseas and vacation American with us as we are the BEST VALUE nudist vacation resort in the world. Also we have been nudists for over 30 years and most nudist resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico are owned by non nudist corporations.

In talking to guests I have found that they are tired of going to the Caribbean and Mexico and staying at clothing optional resorts that are owned by non nudists and paying sky high rates for vacations. They all know they are being ripped off on their vacations as their rooms are normally $100 or more per night compared to rooms on prude sides or textile hotels.

As one guest said who no longer goes to the Caribbean, "the travel agent commission alone that is charged would pay for a week at The Terra Cotta Inn."

We have a toll free number 1-800-786-6938. You book directly with us and save on travel agents commissions which mean you get more value for you vacation dollar at Terra Cotta Inn.

Los Cabos is going to become a Temptations Resort. Here is a post I found about this chain owned by non nudists. CLICK HERE

Lots of single men in their twenties so the review says. That's interesting.

Now if you want to book at one of the 10 best clothing optional resorts in the world, give us a call at 800-786-6938. Visit our site at http://sunnyfun.com

I hope to see you in sunny Palm Springs this year.

And remember to help the American nudist community. Vacation only at US clothing optional and nudist resorts this year.

4 comments:

Alan Feigen said...

Hi Tom:
I think most nudist resorts (no offense) are run down. Cindy & I have stayed at your hotel before and we liked the vibe. But the rooms are older than us combined.
If I was going to open a nudist place, I would cater to the upscale crowd. After all, nudism is a special gift we embrace. So is wealth. The two go hand in hand.
Cindy & I stay at Sea Mountain & Desert Sun a lot because the rooms are better, and actually they suck too. Hedonism is the worst offender.
Why not develop an upscale nudist environment. I would be willing to invest in a project like that because I believe the rich Europeans would love it. So would us poor folks here in Beverly Hills!
Happy New Year and regards to your lovely wife.

Tom Mulhall said...

Hi Alan,
I have learned long ago, you can not please all people. Funny you stay at Desert Sun that when it was Desert Shadows it went bankrupt and been foreclosed on. And the other place caters to a 100% different market than us.
Yes, our place is built in 1960 by the famous architect Albert Frey. So our historic resort is 50 years old. Our rooms are painted by a 2 time grammy award winning artist. We can't paint the walls white to make a few people happy and destroy history which so many others love. Hmmm, we were the first with 32" Sony flat screens, salt water pool, top of the line beds, ipods, free wifi and way more. As you know, everyone else in town always struggles to keep up with us.
Your version of a nudist resort goes contrary to the direction of the luxury market. Read the Dec 2010 Conde Nast Traveler magazine about the luxury hotel market. The luxury market is moving in our direction (common sense) and getting rid of silly stuff like pillow menus, etc. We have the 2nd highest occupancy rate of ALL hotels in Palm Springs so we must be doing something right LOL. We leave the overpriced Saturday night market to the other places whereas everyone else loves to take vacations with us.
If I had to choose being overpriced and just a weekend getaway, or the popular place in town and busy 7 nights a week, I'll take being busy 7 nights a week. Also did you see the Dec 2010 Palm Springs Life Magazine issue where they picked US as the BEST small resort in Palm Springs.

Finally, as you know Sea mountain, Desert Sun and Hedonism cater to different markets than us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom:
You said it in the beginning. You cater to a different market. I know what you are referring to, but also, you cater to a lower end financial market. My point entirely was why not have an upscale nudist hotel? They have them in Spain, Germany, Switzerland, and we loved them. I believe there is a market that will pay top $$ for these types of hotels here in the USA too.
I just came back from heo II yesterday. Had a nice week. Met people from CA that have stayed at Terra Cotta. I only wish you could have heard their comments. People were complaining about Hedo II, Desert Sun, Sea Mountain too.
Is anybody out there interested ina true 5 star luxury nudist, non swinger, couples only hotel in Palm Springs?
As for the last part of your comments, Tom, I know you are good at marketing. I know how to get into those magazines too. I am all too familiar with press releases, tit for tats in all forms of media, and I have seen you on TV a couple of times too.
All of that merely means is you are an aggresive marketing guy. I tip my hat to you. I do exactly the same thing. No less. I am glad for your success but I also know you wanted to sell your place a couple years back. If it was so profitable, why sell?
You only have , what, ten rooms? You better keep them full nightly at your low rates. you have to pay the bills!
Best of luck and continued success to you. It seems you have totally ignored or missed my point.
By the way, when you open the front gate, show a little class and cover up.

Tom Mulhall said...

Hi Alan, I'll tell the "lower end" guest who check out this week and is worth maybe $400 mil and the other guest in the Forbes 400 wealthiest who stays here that we cater to the the lower end market, hahaha. That was a funny joke.

We cater to nice people on vacation which is why we are so successful and why about 85% of our guests come from out of state and out of country. We let Saturday night California business go to the other places in Palm Springs. I also know compared to other places in Palm Spring, we have more CEO's and directors of Fortune 500 companies and successful entrepreneurs than anyone else. And I know this to be true as we have so many guests who made mistakes and stayed at the other places first and now stay with us.

Surprised you went to Hedo, everyone says it's pretty run down and that the non nudist management company is struggling which is why they closed Hedo III.

There was a nude place that opened and was supposedly a "5 star" luxury nude place last year in Palm Springs. They lasted less than 2 months. So much for the luxury nudist demand.

Actually, someone made me an offer a few years ago, that unfortunately was too good to be true. Like ALL businesses if your made a great offer, you're for sale. As the ONLY successful nudist resort out west, I love owning Terra Cotta. If you want to make me a great offer, I am happy to talk to you.

You've been here and should remember we have 17 rooms on 1 1/4 acres. It is only the investors from another place in town that always lie and say we only have 10 rooms. Don't believe what losers have to say about us.

So many guests LOVE my answering the door nude as we are one of the FEW true practicing nudist couples in the industry.

I learned long ago, you can't please all people.

I understand your point 100%. I just know we obviously are not what you want. I would rather have the nice guest booking a 1-2 week long vacation, than someone wanting a Saturday night in high season. I let the other struggling places in town book the weekends as we both know, know nudist couples don't go to those places for vacations. Tom